Gabiano is a rural commune in the north-west of the province of Alessandria. Its current population of some 1,250 has halved since mid 1930s. In addition to the village of Gabiano, the commune includes the localities of Piagera, Sessana. The village of Gabiano lies on the southern slopes of a hill dominated by a castle of ancient origins, which was reconstructed in the early twentieth century in the Neo-Gothic style. At the foot of the hill—the original site of the village—is a parish church dedicated to Saint Peter. Although rebuilt in 1690, it retains the twin bell towers from the original medieval building.