Vulcano is a small volcanic island (38░24′00″N, 14░58′00″E) in the Tyrrhenian Sea, about 25 km north of Sicily and the southernmost of the Aeolian Islands. It is 21 square kilometres in area, rises to 499 metres, and contains several volcanic centres, including one of four active non-submarine volcanos in Italy and the formerly separate islet of Vulcanello. The Greek wind god Aeolus was said to have lived on this island, then called HierÓ. The name for the entire Aeolian Island chain descended from the mythical residence of Aeolus. The Roman name for the island Vulcano has contributed the word for volcano in most modern European languages. The Romans used the island mainly for raw materials, harvesting wood and mining alum and sulfur. This was the principal activity on the island until the end of the 19th Century. The Gran Cratere. A sense of scale is provided by the tourist visible near the centre of the crater.When the Bourbon rule collapsed in 1860 (see Francis II of the Two Sicilies) a British man named James Stevenson bought the northern part of the island, built a villa, reopened the local mines and planted vineyards for grapes that would later be used to make Malvasia wine. Stevenson lived on Vulcano until the last major eruption on the island, in 1888. The eruption lasted the better part of two years, by which time Stevenson had sold all of his property to the local populace, and never returned to the island. The villa is still intact.